It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kirt Walker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:37 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 06 Jan 1972
Hello yall.

Seems like I did this before, but I see no evidence.

I am a long-time Mumpster, inoculated at Baylor College of Medicine in the Sakowitz Lab with Don Glaeser et. al. circa 1972. I started professional life as a Rice Electrical Engineer, but got the bug to go to medical school in the late 70s to find something fun to do with computers.

I also found emergency medicine in its early days and practiced full-time for 30+ years. It was much easier to make a living that way and great fun with sometimes subtle, sometimes not-so-subtle rewards.

I worked with David Brown (CCSM) in the early 80s and wrote the utility programs that went with his std mumps on the 6809 then the PC.

Incidentally, but not insignificantly, I take credit for first teaching Dave Whitten mumps working for me when he was a Rice student.

I hang out on the fringes of the WorldVistA movement and the Vista Expert Network, although, ironically, I am one of the minority(?) of doctors who never rotated thru the VA any time.

Most recently I am doing a "self-funded sabbatical" - giving myself a break from practice to focus on writing code again. I do believe the browser should be the user interface with mumps now and EWD is a very nice component for that. Don't get me wrong, I loved those old roll and scroll dialog based programs, but the world moved on.

I have worked with many defective excuses for EHRs and I feel like I can see how it should or could be done in my head, so I am generally working to instantiate that delusion so others can see it.

I will be at www.Kaveworks.com - but it the domain is only parked so far.

Look forward to working with many of you here and there.

Kirt Walker (MEE, MD, FACEP, FAAEM, ...)
$TR("kirt vista @ gmail"," ","")_dotcom

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Kirt Walker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 0- 0-1971
Welcome Kirt!

Offline Profile