It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pharmacy Order Checks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 01 Jan 2002
Even though our VA site is scheduled to get CPRS V28 by the end of February, it was at World Vista meeting I learned that the order checks have been outsouced to First Data Bank. Not sure what is involved here, but understand our site needs to install some new hardware to use this service.

Wondering what World Vista is thinking to keep orderchecks viable in the system. As this is a big selling point of electronic record systems -- and if FDB worked out the bugs, it can be very useful -- WV needs to keep up to date. (currently CPRS order checks are USUALLY more of an annoyance than a help, they need to be smarter, and perhaps FDB is adding that, as well as adding the abillity for local sites to add there own checks, and to check against medial conditions, as well as patient characteristics (weight, etc)).

As I have learned this team lives ahead of the curve, wondering what is planned in this area.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pharmacy Order Checks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 06 Jan 1982
I believe the first of the CPRS v28 rollout inside the VA has been delayed until after March 1st.

The new order check software in the VA goes by the name "MOCHA" which I think is a set of Java programs written in the Web Logic framework i.e. "Medication Order Check Healthcare Application"

The MOCHA program was written under a VA contract, and the code is to my knowledge, owned by the VA, and thus is subject to a FoIA request.

One difficult change to the data is that it is written to and accessed from an set of SQL tables that have First Data Bank information in it. So if the MOCHA system is implemented outside the VA, a license to the First Data Bank pharmacy data will be needed by the organization that chooses to implement it.

The new hardware clusters that provide the MOCHA system are in the regional data centers in the VA.
They are not expected to exist in the local hospital's computer center.

Best Regards,
David

Offline Profile