It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to Mumpster
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Began Programming in MUMPS: 15 Jun 1984
When the M Technology Association (MTA) closed its doors nine years ago, it disorganized the MUMPS community. Originally named the MUMPS Users Group (MUG), it was formed to help people learn about the MUMPS programming language. They published MUMPS books and articles, helped students and experts find each other, held classes and conferences, and otherwise helped bring the MUMPS community together. When MTA shut down, all these services suffered.

Most importantly, though, MUG was the legal entity that hosted the MUMPS Development Committee (MDC), the group responsible for the development of the MUMPS standard. MTA's shutdown trapped the MDC in an organizational limbo, which is why there hasn't been an update to the MUMPS standard since 1995. I and other MDC members have been planning and working since then to reverse this organizational limbo, and this year we succeeded.

This August, though, I realized that relaunching the MDC was not enough to solve the problems caused by MTA's shutdown.

We launched the MUMPS Books imprint this year to publish, well, books about MUMPS (you saw that coming I hope). While working on the MUMPS 1995 Workbook, an update of Computer Programming in Standard MUMPS, I realized that students learning MUMPS from the book in 1984 had access to a full community of support, whereas those learning today had considerably less than they needed. Clearly, the time had come to relaunch MUG itself, in a new form, to ensure the new generation of MUMPS programmers got the support they need to become great. On August 23rd, I decided the heart of the launch would be a new website that included at its heart (1) an online MUMPS encyclopedia (coming soon) and (2) a bulletin-board system, Mumpster. In the two months that followed, the good folks at Fourth Watch Software and the VISTA Expertise Network helped me make Mumpster a reality.

Today, I'm proud to be able to welcome you to Mumpster. Enjoy, and in the words of that irrepressible mumpster David Whitten, go forth and make great things happen!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Welcome to Mumpster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Began Programming in MUMPS: 15 Jun 1984
If you're new to Mumpster, after registering your next stop should be to introduce yourselves in the Introductions and Profiles forum. Start a new thread with your name as the subject and tell us about yourself. Remember, even if you think we know who you are, we will soon be joined by a lot of new Mumpsters who don't know you from Adam. Make sure they know what they're getting themselves into by introducing yourself to them.

Offline Profile