It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MUMPS Programming I Student Guide
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 0- 0-1971
I have the MUMPS Programming I Student Guide complete to the point where I want to release it for review. This guide has been used by ESI for the lecture workshop course it offered for the last 20 odd years. It evolved with the language and input from students.

The guide is designed to present the 1995 MUMPS language in the order of its definition - ASCII Character Set, String definition, on up to indirection. Each language element is presented according to the standard an has example code that the student will enter and execute. After covering the language, the student is introduced to a workshop exercise that teaches numerous concepts relative to application programming.

The course has some other materials that I will add such as exams, etc.

The course does not have an Instructor's Guide. If there is interest in the material, I will write one as a starting point that instructors can add to.

I would really appreciate having newbies and experienced people review the material.

Thanks

Terry

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: MUMPS Programming I Student Guide
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:19 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 12 Jan 2011
Hello Terry,

So how exactly do we access the material?

I'm looking forward to digging in and seeing how it works.

Thank you,

linda dot yaw at vistaexpertise dot net

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:23 pm 

Thanks Linda.

Let me set some expectations. My first goal as discussed with Rick is to get the student guides, descriptions and exams released for the MUMPS Programming I and MUMPS Programming II courses. These courses are lecture workshop courses where the instructor is expected to elaborate upon each concept. Consequently, the guides are just that – guides. They are not tutorial in nature and do not contain every detail of the concept. One of the things I want to do is write an Instructor's Guide for each course so that the instructor can teach the course in the student guide order.

However, they need to be reviewed and you can actually learn something from them.

Once I finish the MUMPS Programming II material (about 2/3's done), I will jump over to the Computer Based Instruction which is a stand alone tutorial as described in the original post. In terms of learning MUMPS by yourself (or with a mentor), this course is what you ultimately want.

How do you get the material? Because I am releasing this only to the Mumptser group, I have put the material in an SVN as PDF files. To get the material, email me at tlwiechmann@esitechnology.com from your private email account and I will give you the instructions. This goes for anyone who wants to help review the material.

Thanks,
Terry

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 25 Dec 2010
Hey Terry, Sent you an email..Please reply to it.

tlwiechmann wrote:
I have the MUMPS Programming I Student Guide complete to the point where I want to release it for review. This guide has been used by ESI for the lecture workshop course it offered for the last 20 odd years. It evolved with the language and input from students.

The guide is designed to present the 1995 MUMPS language in the order of its definition - ASCII Character Set, String definition, on up to indirection. Each language element is presented according to the standard an has example code that the student will enter and execute. After covering the language, the student is introduced to a workshop exercise that teaches numerous concepts relative to application programming.

The course has some other materials that I will add such as exams, etc.

The course does not have an Instructor's Guide. If there is interest in the material, I will write one as a starting point that instructors can add to.

I would really appreciate having newbies and experienced people review the material.

Thanks

Terry

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 am 

I stated that I would be getting the CBI's out soon. Well, that didn't happen since getting it to work on GT.M/Linux has been an uphill battle. :x

However, I've decided to open the door on the Lecture Workshop Student Guides and provide general access to the SVN where you can download released .pdf documents. These documents can be used for personal and group instruction that does not generate revenue. If you want to use them in that context, please contact me.

The Lecture workshop Student Guide for MUMPS Programming I (Introduction) exists in it's released form. As I've stated, it is designed to be used in a lecture workshop environment and consequently does not have the instructional detail that a proficient instructor would provide. However, you may be able to extract useful information anyway.

I will release the MUMPS Programming II (Intermediate/Advanced) guide shortly.

The CBI guides supplement (summarise) the CBI software and probably are not useful at this point. Additionally, they have not been cleaned up properly. However, I will once again make an effort to get it running on GT.M unless the MUMPS Gods provide me with a simpler solution... :lol:

Here's how to download the guides.

1. Bring up your web browser and enter: http://www.esitechnology.com/paideia_rel/
2. Enter your user name and password:
Username: mumpster
Password: training123
5. Click on LectureWorkshop, Guides and the MUMPS_Programming_I.pdf to download.
6. Download description and exams documents if you wish.

For those of you that I issued a personal user name and password, use the general user name and password listed above. Yours has been deleted.

Please report any discrepancies (typos, etc.) to me via e-mail, not on the forum. However,if you have any content questions about MUMPS please address them on the thread MUMPS Programming I Student Guide of the topic General Paideia Discussion and I will respond. Hopefully this will pump a little blood into this forum.

Remember, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. Generally, other people have the same question but were afraid to ask so step forward and ask.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:11 pm 

As I stated numerous times, the MUMPS Programming I and II Student Guides were designed for lecture workshop environments where the instructor fills in the details. If anyone is interested, I am willing to lead an on-line MUMPS Programming I (Introduction) course. We can use the student guide to guide us through the course. I would create a thread for each unit and present what would normally be the lecture. Questions would be asked and answered in the thread and hopefully more knowledgeable Mumpsters than I will join in.

I just got back from JazzFest in New Orleans. While walking down Bourbon Street one afternoon, a magician was standing in the middle of the street all by himself. I heard him say, "I usually do not start my act unless there are at least 2 people standing in front of me..." :) If at least two people are interested, we will proceed with the course...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:52 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 25 Dec 2010
Count me as One
tlwiechmann wrote:
As I stated numerous times, the MUMPS Programming I and II Student Guides were designed for lecture workshop environments where the instructor fills in the details. If anyone is interested, I am willing to lead an on-line MUMPS Programming I (Introduction) course. We can use the student guide to guide us through the course. I would create a thread for each unit and present what would normally be the lecture. Questions would be asked and answered in the thread and hopefully more knowledgeable Mumpsters than I will join in.

I just got back from JazzFest in New Orleans. While walking down Bourbon Street one afternoon, a magician was standing in the middle of the street all by himself. I heard him say, "I usually do not start my act unless there are at least 2 people standing in front of me..." :) If at least two people are interested, we will proceed with the course...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 01 Sep 2010
I guess I'm number two then

"Show me your friends and I'll show you your future." - Myles Munroe

"Better to be silent and appear a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:15 pm 

Ok, minimum requirement met. However, the more the merrier...

I will publish an Introduction that lists the requirements and objectives of the course. Meanwhile, I will try to get a dedicated topic so that it is not under the General Paideia topic. In any event, I will publish the Introduction and units as separate threads containing instruction material and discussion. What I publish will be mapped into an Instructors guide that will be made available for use by the community.

Please do not hesitate to be critical - it can only enhance the value of the course.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:05 am 

No, I haven't forgotten you. I'm currently writing an Introduction (Expectations, Preparation, Approach, etc.) that I would normally present at the beginning of a class and, more importantly, the explanatory information for the study units.

Also, if I can get the administrators cooperation, I'm trying to get two new topic areas set up for the two courses. If I get these topics, we will use them for discussion. If not, I'll come up with a different approach. In any event, alternative suggestions are welcome!

Offline Profile