It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mumps Implementation Recommendations...?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 15 Jun 1992
Hello.

I have a project pertaining to my work as a Latin teacher which I would like to accomplish using Mumps on my PC. I'll describe the project, but at this point what I really need help with is a recommendation on which Mumps to use.

As my students progress through my class, I like to introduce them to verses from the Vulgate (the Bible in Latin; I teach at a Christians school). Ideal verses and passages will have both vocabulary and grammar that the students have learned up to that point.

I would like to do some analyses on the text of the Vulgate, using a list of vocabulary from my textbook, with a goal of identifying verses, passages, books that line up well with various chapters in our textbook. That is, I want to be able to identify all the verses in which, say, 90% of the vocab is vocab which my students have learned.

While I'm rusty on the syntax, I believe I know exactly what the globals would look like and generally what the routines/procedures would do.

I have downloaded and installed: Kevin O'Kane's Mumps, MiniM, and M3 from Patterson and Gray. I'm having various problems with each -- user error, I'm sure.

Before getting more into how to do what I wish to do, any strong opinions on which of these I should invest more time in? Should I look into the free eval version of Cache?

Thank-you, and best regards,
Mark Dawson

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mumps Implementation Recommendations...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 0- 0-1971
I'm assuming that you are running Windows. In that case, of those you mentioned, I definitely recommend using Cache.

If you can run Linux, I recommend Ubuntu. In this case you can choose from GT.M or MUMPSV1. GT.M is a robust system different from traditional MUMPS systems. MUMPSV1 is much simpler and is implemented in a more traditional way. Neither of these run on Windows to my knowledge.

Chose one and write portable code then you can migrate to the system of your choice.

Welcome to Mumpster...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mumps Implementation Recommendations...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 am 

Began Programming in MUMPS: 10 Mar 1997
Now I'm ready to release MiniM version 1.9, so very interested in what a problems you are found.

Thank you

Eugene Karataev
support@minimdb.com

Offline Profile